> " UPDATE <https://www.sqlite.org/draft/lang_update.html> avoids writing
database pages that do not actually change. For example, "UPDATE t1 SET
x=25 WHERE y=?" becomes a no-op if the value in column x is already 25."

I have a ridiculous assertion concerning this, but please here me out.

Given rows where y = ? are true
When an update is made to those rows
Then I expect the row ChangeDate column to be set to the current date/time
(dt)

Even if x = 25, would I want it changed to show that thew row was touched
by the update ran on dt. If it is not touched, then I may be left
investigating why counts against dt to not equal the anticipated number of
changes. For example, as part of my qc procedure, I would do a count to see
how many rows should be changed before running the update. The qc count
would be base on y=?. When the update executes, it will not reflect the
number of updates, no would a post-update frequency count reflect it
because the ChangeDate on those rows would not be updated.

I realize my pre|post-update now has to be y = ? AND x <> 25. But I wonder
what else might be affected by this. It has a complexity to automated qc
procedures.

Just my thoughts.
dvn