> ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN has existed for a long time.

Yes, sorry, I mixed things up.

The order of importance is imho:
1. RENAME COLUMN (shouldn't be too hard)
2. DROP COLUMN (should be a bit more comlicated but feasible)
3. MODIFY COLUMN

> What kind of MODIFY COLUMN changes do you have in mind?

I understand this can be difficult as there are many possible operations that
might be incompatible with the data already stored in that column. Last time I
needed MODIFY, I wanted to change the ON UPDATE/DELETE CASCADE action of a
foreign key column. Also adding/removing a foreign key would be useful.

Kind regards,
Thomas