Just tried sqlite3_interrupt but it didn’t seem to help. I presume there’s no
interrupt points within the count() function mentioned in the explain.

________________________________
Hick Gunter <h...@scigames.at>
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2018 5:16:45 PM
To: 'SQLite mailing list'
Subject: Re: [sqlite] [EXTERNAL] sqlite3_progress_handler(D,N,X,P)

If you want elapsed milliseconds, you can set a timer and call
sqlite3_interrupt() to have sqlite quit executing the query as soon as
possible. This interface is based on "work done".

I guess the callback routine gets called at the next "interrupt point" (which
is why the number N is only approximate) and pretends that you called
sqlite3_interrupt() if non-zero was returned.