Sqlite will use different strategies for ASC and desc ordering and result
set sizes. Perhaps one is creating a temp btree to order the results. I
think explain query plan might help show exactly what sqlite is
contributing to the memory consumption without the need for as much
speculation. Not intended as a critical comment, just a thought in passing.