On 31 May 2018, at 5:18pm, Dominique Devienne <ddevie...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 3:44 PM Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:
>
>> For many years, we have boasted that the size of the SQLite library is
>> "less than half a megabyte".
>
> Given where the conversation is going, let me point out that many do not
> care one bit about the lib's size :)

Did you know that less than half of SQLite installations are on desktop
computers ?  My guess is that mobile phones are now the biggest category of
devices.  They run off battery power.  They have firmware on chips.  The more
chips they have to keep powered-up, the more battery power they use, the
physically bigger the phone has to be to hold not just the chips but the bigger
battery, the heavier and more expensive it is.

Not to mention a whole fleet of handheld safety-testing equipment with
different configurations for different installations, and those gadgets parking
inspectors carry around to keep track of which cars parked when.

Might be interesting to find out what proportion of SQLite devices are
mains-powered vs. battery-powered.  Although whether one should class an Airbus
A350 XWB as "battery-powered" I am not certain.

Simon.