> May I ask about your use-case and what specifically is needed?

Probably exactly the same as you are using in your SQLitespeed app.
There is a SQL text box and the user can type anything in there he/she
wants.
App then needs to determine how to handle that string:
Produce data to show, run a non-data producing SQL, or reject it because it
is invalid.

> The "let's feed it to the engine and see if it cries" method of error
detection is dangerous to my mind

Not sure what you mean with that.
The user decides what he wants to do, app needs to determine how it should
be handled.

RBS