On 1 Nov 2018, at 10:40am, R Smith <ryansmit...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Most applications play nice and do not install their greasy little DLLs to
> the Widows DLL common area, but just hug them locally (in the app folder).
> But some, thinking probably they were doing the right thing, do install DLLs
> to the common area, and sometimes this includes a DLL like sqlite3.dll which
> starts causing problems for everyone else using it, because they don't
> actually distribute/install newest versions, so everything else loading the
> same library gets the last installed version of the last app to successfully
> install to the common area.

That's the problem.  The standard Windows installer has a way of saying
"install this common-area DLL if and only if there isn't one in there, or it's
a later version than the one already in there". When only professionals wrote
Windows programs that needed installing, it was fine, but now days few people
use it because

(A) Some DLLs have bugs, the programmer figured this out and wrote around the
bug, but their work-around does't involve a version-check.  Updating the DLL
fixes a bug their app depends on.
(B) My installer installs my app which works perfectly.  If you have trouble
with another app, take it up with their support team, not mine.

Now days most houses use Installshield which has its own problems.

Simon.