On 11/23/2018 09:54 PM, szmate1618 wrote:
Dear list members,

I have the following problem, with which I'd like to request your aid:

Currently, at version 3.25.2, SQLite only has a limited support for alter
table. E.g. you cannot change the datatype (type affinity) of a column, or
drop a column.

The usual workaround is to create a new table with the desired schema, fill
it with data from the original table, drop the original table, and rename
the new one. But what if the original table is a parent table in a foreign
key relationship?

The official solution
<https://www.sqlite.org/lang_altertable.html#otheralter> is turning foreign
keys off, making the changes you want, then turning foreign keys on. But
I'm slightly annoyed this cannot be done in a transaction (because these PRAGMA
foreign_keys =s don't take effect inside of transactions, so they need to
be issued before and after).

"PRAGMA foreign_keys = ?" is a property of the connection only, not the database file. So what advantage would there be in including the PRAGMA statements in the body of a transaction?

Dan.

I'd like to use deferred foreign keys instead. I have 3 queries, one of
them seems to work, the two others do not. My questions are the following:

   - Does the seemingly working query work by design? Or it's just a
   fortunate(?) constellation of multiple factors, and depending on other
   tables or new data in the database it might break in the future? Somewhat
   like undefined behavior in C++?
   - Why do the other ones not work? How are they different from the first
   one?

Setup

PRAGMA foreign_keys = OFF;
DROP TABLE IF EXISTS Parent;CREATE TABLE Parent(A TEXT UNIQUE,
COLUMN_TO_DROP FLOAT);INSERT INTO Parent VALUES('whatever', 0.0);
DROP TABLE IF EXISTS Child;CREATE TABLE Child(C TEXT REFERENCES
Parent(A) DEFERRABLE INITIALLY DEFERRED);INSERT INTO Child
VALUES('whatever');

PRAGMA foreign_keys = ON;

Query1 - seems to be working as intended

BEGIN TRANSACTION;CREATE TABLE Temp AS SELECT A FROM Parent;DROP TABLE
Parent;CREATE TABLE Parent (A TEXT UNIQUE);INSERT INTO Parent SELECT *
FROM Temp;DROP TABLE Temp;COMMIT;

Query2 - create [...] as select [...] fails

BEGIN TRANSACTION;CREATE TABLE Temp AS SELECT A FROM Parent;DROP TABLE
Parent;CREATE TABLE Parent AS SELECT * FROM Temp;     -- different
from Query1CREATE UNIQUE INDEX ParentIndex on Parent(A);  -- different
from Query1DROP TABLE Temp;COMMIT;

Result:

sqlite> PRAGMA foreign_key_check;
sqlite> .schemaCREATE TABLE Child(C TEXT REFERENCES Parent(A)
DEFERRABLE INITIALLY DEFERRED);CREATE TABLE Parent(A TEXT);CREATE
UNIQUE INDEX ParentIndex on Parent(A);
sqlite> SELECT * FROM Parent;
whatever

Query3 - insert into [...] fails

BEGIN TRANSACTION;CREATE TABLE Temp (A TEXT UNIQUE);      -- different
from Query1INSERT INTO Temp SELECT A FROM Parent;  -- different from
Query1DROP TABLE Parent;CREATE TABLE Parent (A TEXT UNIQUE);INSERT
INTO Parent SELECT * FROM Temp;DROP TABLE Temp;COMMIT;

Result:

sqlite> PRAGMA foreign_key_check;
sqlite> .schemaCREATE TABLE Child(C TEXT REFERENCES Parent(A)
DEFERRABLE INITIALLY DEFERRED);CREATE TABLE Parent (A TEXT UNIQUE);
sqlite> SELECT * FROM Parent;
whatever

Note that PRAGMA foreign_key_check does not report any problem in any of
the cases.

I posted an identical question on StackOverflow, but no one was able to
provide any information so far. Thanks in advance!

Máté Szabó