On 15 Dec 2018, at 5:35pm, Keith Medcalf <kmedc...@dessus.com> wrote:

> Fast forward 25 years and you would these days be hard pressed to find a
> computer that DOES NOT use proper IEEE-754 floating point and that DOES NOT
> default to a minimum of double precision representation and that DOES NOT use
> extended precision internally to ensure that the 1 ULP guarantee is ensured.
> However, the memory of the proletariat is long:  Even though the original
> issue leading to the quaint "do not use floating point for money" aphorism no
> longer exists the problem of knowing "why this was so" still exists.  And the
> propensity to apply intermediate rounding still exists.

And yet ... here we are.  The post which started this thread summed currency
amounts and reached a total of 211496.25999999992 .

Yes, you can say 'that would have been rounded before it was printed'.  But
then you're into the old questions: do you round at every step, or only at the
end ?  Do you round or truncate ?  Where does the fraction go ?  etc. etc..

Simon.