Dennis Clarke wrote:
> On 1/19/19 4:47 PM, Andy Goth wrote:
>>
>>> It may be [worth] while to spin up a Solaris 9 zone on a Solaris 10
>>> or Solaris 11 server for this purpose.
>>
>> I don't have access to any Solaris servers of any kind. And yet, I had
>> the requirement to produce a working binary for a computer I wasn't
>> even allowed to go visit. It was rough, but the task is done and sold off.
>
> From the better late than never file eh?

Haha yeah, late last year I noticed my patch never made it into official SQLite
and resolved to check up on its status, but I got busy again.  Though today I
found a bit of free time since I was going to pour a concrete slab and yet my
cement mixer hasn't been returned to me yet.  And so I'm catching up.

> I have no idea how you managed to land that task but these days if
> someone asks me to do any work on a Solaris 8 or 9 server I simply say
> "no" and that is the end of it.  I have seen too many nights and days
> lost to cursing over old Solaris 8 sparc servers.

No one knew Solaris was in the mix.  It was the OS chosen by a vendor who eons
ago sold our predecessors an appliance we just plugged in and tried to not
think about too much.

When I was given the task, people were thinking exclusively Linux, but over the
course of development I discovered it was necessary for my software to work on
(or with) a much wider variety of systems dating back to Windows 98.  A few
(such as VxWorks) I was able to query over the network without having to run my
code on them directly, and some others I was able to handwave away because the
only way to identify the software configuration was to unscrew a panel and read
the version number off the sticker on a PROM.  But most of the time I had to
actually install and run my code right on the box.

That wasn't really all that difficult, since I wrote my code in Tcl to begin
with.  So all that was necessary was to build the Tcl interpreter, along with
the right set of extensions, into basekits which I combined with scripts and
data files to produce single-file executables known as Starpacks.  Thus, I made
a Linux VM with cross compilers for all target platforms, then I compiled the
basekits, and I used and/or wrote Tcl scripts to combine the basekits with
application scripts into the Starpacks.  Because the basekits themselves are
Tcl interpreters, and I had them built for all platforms, I was thus able to
use any platform to "build" for every platform.  It was a thing of beauty, and
Fossil was the cherry on the top.

Incidentally, limited understanding of system configurations is the whole
reason the task came to be in the first place.  Now that's all solved, but
there were many lessons learned along the way.

The funny thing is I'm not even using SQLite in this application!  It's just
part of my standard basekit.  Since one of the systems I had to support was Red
Hat 9, I first used an RH9 VM to compile for it, but the included version of
GCC was buggy beyond belief.  The SQLite binaries it produced would sometimes
give SQLITE_MISUSE (or some similar issue) when I tried to UPDATE a table from
within Tcl.  So I grudgingly decided to not use SQLite, on account of one
broken platform.  By the time I set up a better cross compiler that didn't
output trash, I had gone too far down an alternate design path to be willing to
rearchitect in terms of SQLite.  I may yet do so in a follow-on project now
that SQLite is available to me.

> I have a few Solaris 10 servers left in life and zero, none, nothing for
> Solaris 11 simply because Oracle made it impossible to run.
>
> So well done and now do your self a favour and say good bye to it.
>
> Time to go look at Debian and FreeBSD on RISC-V if you want adventure!

I don't anticipate ever needing to support Solaris again, but if it does crop
up, at least I'm prepared.  Specifically, I know how to make a cross compiler
for it so that I don't have to touch it daily in order to do my development.

However, for some strange reason, I've been thinking about MS-DOS lately...