I can see this query being useful as a part of an abstraction theory.  You
take away the responsibility of having a developer handle the math, so the
developer doesn't need to worry about what the two primary values are.
They can just pick what they need from the query.  Back in the Borland
Pascal days, when looking at drive space use and availability, I'd get
"frustrated" or slightly annoyed that I'd have to have a helper function or
code for the delta on storage.  IIRC, there is code to tell you the size of
the drive, and code to tell you the amount of used space, but, nothing
about what's free, or something along that line.  So a function, variable
or inline-math had to be written to give me the appropriate value.

BUT, I do also understand the theory that the DB engine (Of any flavor)
should be used to provide code the raw data, and the code should handle
presentation and manipulation.

Six in one basket, half dozen in the other, IMO.