Simon, Tim,

Il sab 2 feb 2019, 23:40 Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> ha scritto:

> On 2 Feb 2019, at 10:19pm, Gerlando Falauto <gerlando.fala...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Results should be naturally ordered by source1, source2,ts.
>
> [Sorry, I missed this the first time.  Thanks, Tim.]
>
> Sorry, no.  You're making assumptions about how SQLite works internally.
> If you want your results sorted, ask for them sorted.  If you don't, don't.

I do want them sorted, and I also want the whole (huge) dataset to be
processable without having to store it all in memory or temp files.
Sounds like the whole purpose of an index, doesn't it?
I do know SQL is all about the result, not how it's obtained, though.

> Note that if you don't ask for them sorted and they come out sorted by
> good luck, there's no guarantee that they'll be sorted if you put different
> data in the table, or the same data with the rows in a different order, or
> if you update to a later version of SQLite.

I do realize that, that's why I'm not happy with that seems to do the trick
without an explicit order by clause.

Thank you for your help!

Gerlando