> SQLite is built from (the combined) source as part of the project build.
> [...]

If you want extra safety, I would recommend you consider using
SQLITE_DEFAULT_SYNCHRONOUS=3 which is the equivalent to using PRAGMA
synchronous=EXTRA.

Quick references:
* https://www.sqlite.org/pragma.html#pragma_synchronous
* https://www.sqlite.org/compile.html#default_synchronous

> What is the journal mode?
>
> That is a very interesting question, as a journal file certainly seems
relevant to power fail issues

The most common journal modes are the following:
* default journal mode is to use a rollback journal
* newer journal mode is WAL

Recommended reading: https://www.sqlite.org/wal.html

I think WAL could be safer if you do not use SQLITE_DEFAULT_SYNCHRONOUS=3.

What I don't like about WAL is the need for occasional checkpointing
ref: https://www.sqlite.org/wal.html#automatic_checkpoint

I hope this helps a little.