On 27 Mar 2019, at 10:59pm, Thomas Kurz <sqlite.2...@t-net.ruhr> wrote:

> Now when inserting an item that already exists (according to the uniqueness
> definition above), the existing item should be updated with the new name and
> A, B, C properties.

Mmm.  Your database design doesn't work the way SQL does.  Your separate items
would be in their own file and your "items of a certain type that have
identical properties" would be constructed by scanning that table with a
DISTINCT.

So yes, it's difficult to do what you want in SQL because your data isn't in a
form that SQL likes.  I see two options: change your schema, or do your
processing in your programming language rather than in SQL.

Simon.