"an historical oversight" feels dirty to me, mostly because it's an
incomplete sentence and can be understood in different ways.  It's a
"point", or answer to a question.

In my verbage, "historical" begins with an H (Note here "AN H", not "A H",
because when saying "H", it starts with a vowel sound).  Its the same as
you wouldn't say "I hear an hissing noise", or "I just learned an History
Lesson".  Words prefixed with the sound "HISS" should be prefixed with "A"
in my mind, unless the H is silent, like Honor or Honest.

However, that said, it'd also probably depend on what the sentence is going
to be describing.  "I went to a historical event" leaves a bad taste in my
mouth, while "I went to an historical event" feels better, because I think
the E in Event carries over to the "AN", or, it could be a past vs present
meaning of the sentence.  But if I say "I've just learned a historical
lesson", the "L" sound in Lesson doesn't carry over correctly to "AN".

Let me be clear I'm not saying you're wrong or right, just that, in my head
and my syntax when I write sentences, anything that begins with H would end
up having an "A" prefix.  I don't use the word Historical or History all
that often, so I can't say how I've written it out in the past.

That said, the point of the sentence is presented whether "AN" or "A" is
used, in my opinion.  This is going down the lines of (Dare I say) is it
ESS-QUE-EL or "SEEK-WIL".

In my case, if I were to read that entire paragraph, I probably wouldn't
even blink on "... an historical oversight ..." or "... a historical
oversight ...".