On 2/9/62 16:57, Paul wrote:
I has been a while without response, so I just bumping this message.

19 July 2019, 14:21:27, by "Paul" <de...@ukr.net>:

I have a test case when the regression can be observed in queries that
use JOINs with FTS4 tables, somewhere in between 3.22.0 and 3.23.0.
For some reason the planner decides to search non-FTS table first then
scan the whole FTS table. Version 3.22.0 is the last unaffected, while
issue is still present in HEAD.

Probably it has something to do with a fact that, according to EXPLAIN,
new version of planner ignores LEFT join and considers it just a JOIN.

Suspect that that is the change. The LEFT JOIN is equivalent to a regular join in this case due to the "bar = 1" term in the WHERE clause.

Running ANALYZE after the index is created in the example script causes SQLite to pick a better plan.

Or, changing the LEFT JOIN to CROSS JOIN works to force SQLite to pick the plan you want.

FTS5 does a little better with the query, but only because it runs faster - it still picks the slow plan. There might be room to improve this in FTS5, but probably not for FTS3/4, which are now focused very much on backwards compatibility.

Dan.

At least it feels that way, anyway.

Test case:

CREATE VIRTUAL TABLE search USING FTS4(text);

WITH RECURSIVE
  cnt(x) AS (
     SELECT 1
     UNION ALL
     SELECT x+1 FROM cnt
      LIMIT 2000
  )
INSERT INTO search(docid, text) SELECT x, 'test' || x FROM cnt;

CREATE TABLE foo(s_docid integer primary key, bar integer);

WITH RECURSIVE
  cnt(x) AS (
     SELECT 1
     UNION ALL
     SELECT x+1 FROM cnt
      LIMIT 2000
  )
INSERT INTO foo(s_docid, bar) SELECT x, 1 FROM cnt;

.timer on

-- Fast
SELECT COUNT() FROM search LEFT JOIN foo
  ON s_docid = docid
  WHERE bar = 1 AND search MATCH 'test*';

-- Fast
SELECT COUNT() FROM foo
  WHERE bar = 1
  AND s_docid IN (
    SELECT docid FROM search WHERE search MATCH 'test*'
  );

-- Create index, as some real-life queries use searches by `bar`
CREATE INDEX foo_bar_idx ON foo (bar);

-- Slow
SELECT COUNT() FROM search LEFT JOIN foo
  ON s_docid = docid
  WHERE bar = 1 AND search MATCH 'test*';

-- As fast as before (current workaround)