On 26/09/2019 15:30, Keith Medcalf wrote:
-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Gary R. Schmidt
Sent: Wednesday, 25 September, 2019 23:13
To: sqlite-users@mailinglists.sqlite.org
Subject: Re: [sqlite] Safe to use SQLite over a sketchy network?

On 26/09/2019 15:00, Jens Alfke wrote:

On Sep 24, 2019, at 3:48 PM, Keith Medcalf <kmedc...@dessus.com>
wrote:

There are not, to my knowledge, any client/server database systems
that will work properly if the database resides on a network filesystem
(meaning remote multi-access).  The "client" is remote from the "server"
because the "client" and "server" use some sort of IPC mechanism (of
which a network is an example) so that the "client" can send commands to
and receive responses from the "server".

Well, obviously. “Client/server” means databases like MySQL or Oracle.
No one would run those with the server using a networked file system.

I might have dreamt it, but NetAPP had an add-on for Oracle, quite
probably still do, that enhanced performance and behaviour when used for
storage.

Not sure if it was applied to the server or the NAS, possibly both, but
it was an Oracle-recommended solution for large storage requirements.

[Top-posting fixed.]

> That is remote block storage, not a remote filesystem.  Remote block
> storage just has a "longer wire" going to the block storage.  iSCSI,
> for example, will let you put your block storage anywhere, even in
> orbit.  The filesystem, however, still resides on the local computer.

No, it was over NFS, and while it could be used to give Oracle a "raw partition," it was intended to be used as a file-system that could be managed by the NAS, and allowed for the files to accessed by more than one Oracle server instance.

This was before we got Oracle RAC, I should mention.

        Cheers,
                Gary    B-)