On October 26, 2019 8:07:57 p.m. EDT, Thomas Kurz <sqlite.2...@t-net.ruhr>
wrote:

>To me, the most puzzling thing is the lack of full ALTER TABLE support
>(DROP COLUMN, MODIFY COLUMN, ADD CONSTRAINT, DROP CONSTRAINT).
>Modifying tables is some kind of science in SQLite, and thus, very
>error-prone.

I'd second this (that altering the schema is error-prone). I'm not puzzled by
SQLite's omission of most table altering (a good designer will choose a good
schema from the start and thus rarely need to change it, making schema
alteration a bit more of a niche feature), but it has been a point of
difficulty in getting people used to other databases to take SQLite seriously.

Earlier this year I spent some time implementing support for SQLite in Movim, a
Web-based XMPP client and social media platform. All went smoothly until it was
discovered that neither database schema migration library Movim uses actually
correctly handles SQLite (despite both claiming to do so). I started fixing up
one of them (Phinx), but got bogged down half-way because, of course, the whole
thing assumes the database is capable of arbitrary ALTER TABLE statements.

For now Movim no longer supports SQLite, despite there being demand for it, for
want of good tooling to perform schema alterations.

--
J. King