I included WAL mode and mmap on the LiteTree simple benchmark.

It turns out that WAL mode is as fast as LiteTree on Linux (with a hard disk) for writes and a little slower on reads.

On MacBook Pro (with SSD) LiteTree is faster on both writing and reading.

SQLite's mmap make it slightly faster than just with WAL. It is faster than LiteTree on reads (no page data copy on both cases). But this depends on the benchmark code. Sometimes it is slower than using just WAL mode (apparently with small dbs).

Sometimes mmap is way faster than all others (on a virtual machine: Windows hosting Linux).

But honestly, I do not know the reason of these differences.