On 12/11/62 19:00, Simon Slavin wrote:
On 12 Nov 2019, at 10:06am, Dan Kennedy <danielk1...@gmail.com> wrote:

This branch might interest you:

   https://www.sqlite.org/src/timeline?r=begin-concurrent-pnu-wal2
" In wal2 mode, the system uses two wal files instead of one. The files are named "<database>-wal"
and "<database>-wal2""

Could this be changed to -wal1 and -wal2 ?  Or any other suffixes that aren't
used by a different mode ?

This is to make crash/corruption diagnostics simpler.  At the moment, if the
database file is so corrupt it can't be opened by SQLite, just by looking at
the files in the directory I can tell a lot about what journal mode the
database was in and what was being done, and what the user did to try to
restore a backup.

But users do all sorts of weird things to try to recover from crashes,
including restoring a database, sometimes in a different journal mode, but
leaving journal files in place.  Seeing whether there's a -wal file and/or a
-wal1 file, and comparing the changedates on the files, will give me better
clues about what was done.  It means I can get further in figuring out what was
going on before hexdumping the files concerned.

Fair point.

I think it reuse *-wal in order to avoid an extra call to access() when opening a read-transaction in rollback mode. There might be other reasons too. It's only a branch for now - this is something to consider if it ever gets rolled into the main version though.

Dan.