On Thursday, 28 November, 2019 09:21, Richard Damon <rich...@damon-family.org>
wrote:

>\n and \t are not 'printf' features, but C string features, that \ is an
>escape introducer for compiling a string, and if followed by a letter
>like n or t it builds a string with the special value represented by
>that function. The \n does NOT make it into the string itself, only the
>code for a newline. You are not typing your line into a C compiler, but
>the sqlite shell program, so it build strings differently.

As far as I know the only place that the \ escape introducer is parsed in
SQLite3 is in the arguments to the dot commands in the CLI.  This is so, for
example, one may use commands like:

.seperator \t \n

otherwise you would not be able to set the seperator characters to
non-printable characters.

Note that for that particular case the CLI is a "presentation" layer tool, so
one would expect that behaviour.  Otherwise, SQLite3 is not a "presentation"
layer tool but rather a "data storage" layer tool and as such does not muck
about with data that it is given or returns.

lot about anticipated traffic volume.