Thank you, Simon. That was an interesting article, and even better, it has a
link to a book-length PDF of “Modern B-Tree Techniques” that is *solid gold*.
I’ve been wanting to learn more about b-trees, indexing, query planning, etc.
and this book goes way beyond anything I’ve found previously.

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.219.7269

—Jens