The isolation_level specifies the default suffix to put after 'BEGIN' when
beginning a transaction.  Inside the library the following is used when the
magic wants to start a transaction:

if isolation_level is not None:
   .execute('BEGIN %s' % isolation_level)

This is so that you can set isolation_level to 'IMMEDIATE' so that all
magically initiated transactions are BEGIN IMMEDIATE rather than the default
BEGIN DEFERRED

lot about anticipated traffic volume.