While that is nice, it is likely completely irrelevant.  The issue appears to
be the flamboyant conversion of data being performed by dotSnot (.NET).

The fact that data can be stored in several different formats inside the
database, and then converted to what dotSnot calls a "GUID" is all very nice
and interesting, but not useful in the least (at least not if you want the
database engine to do any work, rather than doing all joining and filtering and
ordering in the dotSnot application).

What you need to know is how the thing that dotSnot calls a GUID is presented
to the database.  If dotSnot sends a GUID to the database as a 16-byte binary
blob, then you better store your GUIDs in the database as 16-byte binary blobs
if you expect to be able to find them.  Similarly, if dotSnot sends a GUID to
the database as a text string formatted with brockets and dashes and lower case
hex digits, then you better store your GUIDs in the database in that format if
you ever expect to be able to find them.

In other words, it is irrelevant that the conversion from database to dotSnot
will interpret 400 different types of things as a dotSnot GUID.  What is
important is how dotSnot sends what it thinks calls a GUID to the database, and
that it can do that reversibly.

lot about anticipated traffic volume.