> I experimented with a number of similar ideas for storing JSON when I
> was first designing the JSON components for SQLite.  I was never able
> to find anything that was as fast or as compact as just storing the
> original JSON text.

 I've also done a lot of experiments and was surprised at how little a
binary encoding saves in space. Also tried with lookups for keys, but the
lookup values quickly become close to the size of the keys (if not larger)
if keys are mostly shortish.

I'd be happy with a JSON5-like ability to have the quotes on keys optional
if they contain no spaces and no special characters. Seems to reduce the
data size quite significantly.