On 5/3/63 16:11, Dominique Devienne wrote:
Hi,

I'm interested in LSM1 [1] as an alternative to SQLite, since in a
particular use-case,
I'm using SQLite mostly as a key-value store, and write performance is
particularly important,
in addition to MVCC. Sounds like it could be an excellent fit here,
and the fact it comes from
the SQLite team is something I value.

That said, the only online doc for LSM1 ([2] and [3]) are from the
defunct SQLite4 web-site,
and the main blog post is starting to look dated [4]. I thus wonder
about the level of quality
and support on LSM1, and lack of doc for it in the main SQLite web-site.

In terms of practicality, there's also no amalgamation for LSM1. And the virtual
table over LSM1 data-files [5], something I was look for, does not
appear to be documented
anywhere. Notably whether using that vtable using the familiar SQLite
API is advisable
instead of using the different and unfamiliar LSM1-specific API.

I'm just looking for clarity and advice around LSM1, as well as
commitments regarding
its level of quality, testing, and support. And whether we can hope to
have more doc and
amalgamation deliverables in the future. It sounds like it's a really
nice piece of code, but
the fact there's very little noise and advertisement about it is
somewhat worrying.

It's very much a solution looking for a problem at this point. It's not, as far as I know, used in anything that is too widely deployed.

That said, I don't think it's too bad of an implementation. The automated tests are reasonably good - although of course not as good as SQLite's though. And the docs are stored in kind of a ridiculous place at the moment, but I think they're quite complete.

Not planning to develop this any further unless a big user emerges, which is not impossible. I do intend to fix any reported bugs though.

Dan.

Thanks, --DD

[1] https://www2.sqlite.org/src/dir?name=ext/lsm1
[2] https://sqlite.org/src4/doc/trunk/www/lsmusr.wiki