From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2005 8:59 AM
To: sqlite-users@sqlite.org
Subject: Re: [sqlite] multiple Db's and journal file time hit?
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
We just noticed a 30-40 second hit at early on in our program running. >

Others have reported things like this caused by anti-virus
software running on the same machine and insisting on doing
some kind of virus scan the first time the journal file is
created.
--
D. Richard Hipp

A few suggestions:

White box it:
Compile SQLITE yourself with debugging symbols. Run your code in a profiler. Then run it again in a debugger examine the regions of code that the profiler flagged as "taking a long time".

Black box it:
Use "filemon" (win32/64, from www.sysinternals.com) or "strace" on Linux or the equivilent on any other platform. They will timestamp and record all disk access. Have your own program display the exact system timestamps before and after the lengthy operation. Examine the logs to see what is going on.