On 1/16/06, michael munson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Well, the main reasons I want to use a database as opposed to some other
> type of arbitrary formatted file is real time access.
> In the sense that I won't have to read the entire file into memory and can
> just request objects as I need them and keep them in memory,
> until a certain amount of time passes without them being used in which I can
> free their memory, and if someone wants that object again it will
> just be pulled out of the database. Commit/rollback functionality is also a
> plus.

sounds like you've given it a lot of thought. If you didn't need
transactions I would
suggest a hash and a sparse file. You could locate objects with a
simple calculation
and position to them with a single seek. There wouldn't be any index overhead.
but for this application sounds like a database might be just what you
need. Good luck!