From: Dennis Cote [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2006 2:31 PM
To: sqlite-users@sqlite.org
Subject: Re: [sqlite] Decimal conversion

nbiggs wrote:

>When I try executing the command I get 'SQL error: near "as": syntax
>error'.
>
>Let me explain what I am trying to do, there might be a better way to
do
>it. I have a table of weights as one of the columns.  I am trying to
>return data so that I can create a histogram of the data.  My query is
>as follows:
>
>Select round(field, 1), count(*)
>from table
>group by round(field, 1);

Nathan,

What version of SQLite are you using? The cast syntax was added fairly
recently. I'm using version 3.2.7 to test.

With a current version of SQLite this should work.

select cast (field * 10 as integer) / 10.0 as bin, count(*)
from table group by bin;

Note, you wont get a result row for any bin values that would have had a

count of zero. I.e. if there are no rows with a value of 49.8?? then
there will not be a result row in the histogram for that value with a
count of zero. The histogram output only has rows where the count was 1
or more. This may or may not be what you want.

HTH
Dennis Cote