From: Steve O'Hara [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2006 4:06 AM
To: sqlite-users@sqlite.org
Subject: RE: [sqlite] RE: [RBL] Re: [sqlite] Sqlite and Java

You're right to a certain extent, but the point I was trying
to address
was the ideal of being able to use an SQLite database from a
variety of
toolsets and environments natively.  If you've ever written JNI you'll
know why this is a pain and a Java only implementation would be sweet.

Also, not all SQL engines work the same way and I'm certain HSQLD is
slower than SQLite architecturally, not because it's implemented in
Java.  After all, there is a non-free variant of HSQLDB
(HyperXtremSQL)
written in Java by the same author that is 50% faster - he didn't get
that by tweaking the code, more like re-architecting the storage.

The language is just a tool, a way of describing a solution to a
machine.  The judgement of performance etc of a language is a little
specious because it implies a generalisation of how the language is
implemented on a particular platform.  I've learned to like
Java because
I've got a beautiful development environment (intelliJ IDEA) and in my
professional life, speed/quality of development is more important than
response times.  My clients would prefer to spend more money
on hardware
than on consultancy - who can blame them.

Steve