Does Monotone spend most of its database time in a few long running queries or
thousands of
sub-second queries?

Could you point us to an example monotone database tarball and give some actual
examples of
speed-deficient queries?

When working with large SQLite databases with blobs I generally find I get much
greater speed when
I move expensive data manipulation from the application layer into a custom
SQLite function. I
don't know whether anything in Monotone lends itself to this optimization.