On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 05:34:45PM -0800, Jim Dodgen wrote:

> I really miss the oracle "connect by" operator. I first used it for a
> postal application back in 1992. I am surprised that this feature has
> not made it into to the standard or any other RDBMS.  Maybe  we  should

Although useful, Oracle's connect by feature is widely considered to
be a flawed design, which is part of the reason few other databases
support it.  The SQL standard specifies a different approach, which is
said to be similar to DB2's "recursive SQL".

Hm, here are a bunch of links on "Hierarchical data in RDBMSs", which
I just stumbled across:

  http://troels.arvin.dk/db/rdbms/links/#hierarchical

--
Andrew Piskorski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>