>Would it be useful to have recursive DELETE triggers
>even without recursive INSERT or UPDATE triggers?

Recursive DELETE triggers would certainly be usefull and have in fact already
been asked for on this list occasionally. They would allow to move referential
integrity of hierarchical data out of the application and into the database.

My vote is a strong "Yes!" in favour of recursive DELETE triggers!

Ralf

Btw: Does the SQL standard say anything about recursive triggers? Is there a
reserved word to make a trigger recursive or not? Could there be an
(application defined) limit on INSERT and UPDATE recursions for to solve the
endless loop / stack/memory overflow problem?