> If I understand it right you'll definitely need a correlated subquery.
> You need one query to calculate the max() of the 257(0-256?) values.
> There must be some way to define which values should be used
> in that calculation for a specific piece (the distance). Is
> the distance geometric and calculated from x,y?
>
> In pseudo code something like this:
>
> select piece, ( sub query to calculate max where distance
> from desired_piece < 256 )  from blah  where piece = desired_piece

Explain what you mean by "correlated subquery."

Like I said in the original post, I need help to modify this exact query:

SELECT qi,ri,(drl- (qi - :qi) ) as drl,MAX(score - ((ri - :ri) * :match)) AS
scr FROM results_1
WHERE (qi - ri) = (:qi - :ri) AND (qi >= :qi) AND (ri >= :ri) AND (qi < :qi
+ 256)
AND (ri < :ri + 256) AND (drl > qi - :qi)

to make it such that I get the max of the above scr over :qi to
bounds.upperQi and :ri to bounds.upperRi