Don't mean to split hairs, but...

For the following, the "," is the field delimiter and '"' is the string
delimiter.

Although this may fly in the face of reality, an empty string should be
denoted with ,"", and a null value by ,,.  Who is to say whether ,,
denotes an empty string or an unknown value?  ,"", specifically denotes
an empty (zero length) string, where ,, truly indicates an unknown
value.

With current thinking, is the ,, string zero length or unknown?
Following current logic a numeric input value of ,, should be
interpreted as zero (0) not a null value.  An unknown value is not equal
to zero, here in Texas when playing Texas Hold-em!  Otherwise I would
win every hand :-)

Fred