Maybe there's something else I can do to get around it for my purposes. What I have for instance is a table representing ID3 tags. What I want to do is select from the table any existing tags that match a variable number of fields - for instance, I can say I want to match using title & artist only or I using all the fields such as title, artist, album etc... The LIKE comparison allowed me to use the % wildcard to bind to fields I don't care about - is there any other way using some other comparison operator (going under the restriction that I don't want to modify the values I'm using to query).

Dennis Cote wrote:
Vitali Lovich wrote:
I have a statement along the lines of:
"SELECT * FROM table WHERE value LIKE :abc"

I want to bind a UTF-16 string to abc - however, it can potentially contain % or _ - does sqlite provide any functionality for escaping these characters (I know I have to use the escape clause, but I still have to escape the individual characters in the string replacing :abc) or do I have to write my own routine that works with the wider string?

Vitali,

No, there is no API in sqlite to escape the wildcard and escape characters in a LIKE search string. You will have to do it yourself.

HTH
Dennis Cote