Thanks guys for all the replies I appreciate it.

I'm leaning more and more towards using sqlite after your comments for these
reasons.

1. Each user will have his/her own database and so will likely only be
accessed at any one time by one user.  To reduce concurrency issues as well
as for better application design. It is unlikely that there will be cross
user access.

2.  Aside from the initial shema design, most operations from users will be
read and update operations, I don't forsee too many create table statements
very often.

3.  There is in my opinion a similar overhead with doing operations on
in-memory xml data

I considered using a good ol client server setup like mysql or postgre/sql
and didn't think it better to have instead a database with thousands of
tables, each created per user with some of the users having more than one
table by the way.

I'm always open for more suggestions.

On 10/13/06, John Stanton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Jason Abayomi wrote:
> Sorry about the previous mail, I hit tab in a gmail and it automatically
> sent it.
>
> Anyway, back to my question
> I'm planning out a program right now - web based - that would require
each
> user of the application to be able to create their own independent data
> store with its own schema and modifications etc.  In a perfect world,
> sqlite
> would be great for this as I could just give each individual user their
own
> sqlite database and let them manipulate tables and schema as they see
fit
> before they start to store information into the db.
>
> My concern is scalability and the performance hit of having let's say
5000
> users potentially, accessing 5000 databases at the same time on the
server.
> Based on my readings around the web there are ways to optimize sql
queries
> (transactions, in memory dbs and all that) but even with that, would it
be
> feasible or better yet advisable?
>
> The main issue here is the ability of the users to create and modify
their
> own schemas which may leave my only other option to be xml
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jason

With Sqlite that is basically only 5,000 files.  not a giant load on
your server.