Sorry.. Pressed send before completing the explanation. Most of the time is spent actually just creating the db representation of the library, which is a fairly significant amount of time - it's inserting at about 3-5 mp3 files per second into the DB, but that's only a profiled release build. Right now, as I think I mentioned, sqlite is only taking a small fraction of the time and I want it to stay that way.

Griggs, Donald wrote:
Re: "..a possible optimization I'm thinking of ..."

Is it simple to place, say, 10 SQL Bind operations in series, then see if
this time is even perceptible?

Since this is a human interface, is it not likely that any efforts to avoid
the binds will go unnoticed because the execution time is so small?

(Maybe with an embedded processor, things are just vastly slower than what I
usually work with.)

[These off-the-cuff opinions are mine, and not those of my company, of
course]