Once it is explained a bug becomes a feature and at worst an annoyance. :-)

It is a tiny change to Sqlite to make it the way you want it to work. In my systems I have not changed Sqlite but instead put a jacket around sqlite3_open and tested first for the existence of the file if I don't want a new file to be created. Unix has an API call which establishes file existance efficiently. On Windows I recall that I had to open it.

Dave Dyer wrote:
It would have saved me 2 days of chasing bogons if sqlite_open
had an alternative form which only worked if the database file
exists and is well-formed.

The fact that a mistyped file name becomes a new database is a bug.