You might discover that a memory based database has few advantages over a disk based one, since Sqlite uses cacheing and the OS uses virtual memory file cacheing. The main difference might be initial accesses being slower while the cache fills up.

I understand that Sqlite uses a less efficient algorithm for :memory files than for the cacheing on regular files and that means lower performance on those memory DBs.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi there,

we are on an challanging project with very high requirements on performance.
When doing some debugging we discover, that the sqlite method for creating
an memory-based database is much slower than using e.g /dev/shm on linux or
/tempfs on solaris. (We have measured an 20min performance advantage for the
/dev/shm style on a batch run which takes 70min with :memory: and just 49min
using /dev/shm. Because our project needs to be ported to windows - the /dev/shm is not an
option - because win2000 does not support any temporary memory based file
system. But beside that, we guess, that there will be a possiblity to tune
:memory: or we belief, that we to something wrong when using :memory: (for
example pragma page_size ...).
Is there any body who can give us some advises to tune up our :memory:
database to become as fast as the /dev/shm alternativ?

Thanks
roland