Thanks for the suggestion. I'm a bit lost now. I've tried to load 80million rows now. It took 40 minutes to load into non-index tables; but creating index now take almost forever. It's already 12 hrs, not yet complete.

regards,
Radzi.

To: <sqlite-users@sqlite.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 03, 2006 8:21 PM
Subject: Re: [sqlite] How do I speed up CREATE INDEX ?

"Mohd Radzi Ibrahim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,
I was loading a file to sqlite (3.3.8), and it took 4 mins to load 6 million rows (with no index). But then when I run CREATE INDEX it took me 40 mins to do that. What could I do to speed up the indexing process ?

The reason index creation slows down when creating large
indices is a problem with locality of reference in your disk
cache.  I've learned a lot about dealing with locality
while working on full-text search, and I think I can
probably implement a CREATE INDEX that runs much faster
for a large table.  There are some plans in the works
that might permit me the time to do this in the spring.
But in the meantime, the only thing I can suggest is to
add more RAM to your machine so that you disk cache is
larger.  Or get a faster disk drive.
--
D. Richard Hipp  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>