Hey folks

I am starting an ambitious project that I fear I may regret :P

Some time ago I wrote a member and incident management application for my
volunteer bushfire brigade  in PHP/mySQL.  It works quite well but is
browser based which limits it a bit.

Other Brigades have eyed it enviously and I am ready to improve it and turn
the thing into a standalone windows .exe application - if I can.

The app is essentially a database of members and when we have a going fire
(maybe 5 a year would be large enough for this) we assign members to trucks
or tasks in real time and when it is all over we can see who did what when
and how many hours were involved.  Pretty standard stuff really.

Note that this is not some sort of mission critical application.  It is more
for recording activity than any safety audit etc.

I've done a bit of research and it looks like Python is the way to go -
unless anyone has any other suggestions.  It means learning Python from
scratch, but Python looks like it might be worth the effort.

For the db side I am considering sqlite as I want it to be as transparent as
possible for end users at other Brigades or I am going to have a full time
job supporting a give-away application.

So...and I know I am asking the converted...is sqlite right for me?  And
assuming it is, is there a tutorial of some sort around?

Yes, this is a brain picking exercise...your $0.02 worth would be
appreciated.

Thanks muchly in advance.

All the best

Steve Davis