> I'm curious to know what your situation is.

I am doing commercial software that provides an Excel frontend (.xla
with some VB6 ActiveX dll's) for a medical Interbase database.
I am in the process of doing a major re-write, moving away from
array manipulations and text file SQL to doing all the data manipulation
in SQLite. On the whole this re-write will probably make my software
slightly slower (difficult to beat the array work), but the benefit is in
simplicity and therefor increased maintainability.
The other great benefit is that it is much easier to see what is going on
as all can be seen in the SQL, which is easy to log.
So, I am doing some large datadumps from Interbase to SQLite and then
lots of manipulations in SQLite to get the output in the right shape
to finally dump to Excel.
If you are interested then I can send you the SQL output of a typical
report/search.

RBS