The short answer is that you can not (as far as I'm aware, anyway)
turn of journal files, though it's a common question and I'm sure you
can find a lot of information about it by searching the archives.

   TEMP_STORE controls where "truly" temp files (e.g. those needed for
sorting, and I believe for tables declared as temporary) are stored.
Journal files are not really temporary - they need to persist if the
process should die in order for recovery to be performed.  They also
need to be stored in a predictable location, again so that changes can
be consistently recovered in the case of a crash, so they are always
stored in the same directory as the database itself.  Thus TEMP_STORE
has no impact on their creation or location.

   -Tom