* Dennis Cote <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-02-03 17:20]:
> I suspect the reduction from executing three statements
> (insert, select, insert) down to only two (insert insert) would
> probably provide about the same performance increase as the 5%
> to 10% speedup he saw by replacing the separate select with the
> VDBE stack lookup hack.

Ah, you mean the SELECT / sometimes-INSERT / INSERT strategy
might not be any faster than INSERT / INSERT-with-subselect
because the former is 3 statements and the latter is just 2?

Hmm, that’s something I’d definitely benchmark before deciding.

It’s a pity that INSERT OR IGNORE (apparently?) does not set
last_insert_id properly regardless of outcome, otherwise it could
be reduced to just two INSERTs doing absolutely no duplicate work.

Regards,