>> The SQLite library lacks certain API required to implement cell
>> editing: Most notably, there is no functionality to retrieve
>> the exact origin (table, row and column) of a cell, which must
>> be known to store back the modified value.
>
>See:
>
>   http://www.sqlite.org/capi3ref.html#sqlite3_column_database_name
>   http://www.sqlite.org/capi3ref.html#sqlite3_column_origin_name
>   http://www.sqlite.org/capi3ref.html#sqlite3_column_table_name

I know, and these functions were much appreciated when they entered SQLite.
However, they do not cover the table row (RowID). Here is the discussion about
what's still missing. The thread also points out a few inconsistencies in the
implementation of the above functions, IIRC:

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.sqlite.general/19323

Ralf