T&B wrote:
Hi all,

I have some imported data, where some fields contain numbers with commas denoting thousands separators. How can I change these to actual numbers?

I tried using CAST, which only works with later SQLite versions, but it doesn't seen to know the comma as the thousands marker. For instance:

sqlite> SELECT CAST('1,234,567' AS REAL);
1.0

As an aside, the imported field data also starts with a dollar sign in most cases. Is this the best way to get rid of it:

CREATE TABLE Sample( Cost );
INSERT INTO Sample VALUES('$1,234,567');
INSERT INTO Sample VALUES('1,000,000');
SELECT CASE WHEN Cost LIKE '$%' THEN substr( Cost, 2, length( Cost ) - 1 ) ELSE Cost END FROM Sample;

which gives:

1,234,567
1,000,000

Thanks,