Allan, Mark wrote:
Hi,

A little while back I submitted a query as to whether SQLite would be a good alternative to using MS Access as an internal database for a PC application. I received many repiles for which I was grateful. Mostly people thought that SQLite was a far more superior option to Access, the main concern I was warned about however was that SQLite does not work particularly well in a multiuser environment. We will need (in some instances) for the database file to be located on a network drive and there is the requirement to support up to 10 concurrent users. The actual traffic in most cases will be very light and the likelyhood of writes actually taking place at the same time actually very slim. However we do need the database engine to be able to handle this.
Basically my questions are thus:-
1) What are peoples experiences with SQLite under the scenario I have described
above?
2) What are peoples opinions on whether SQLite is a good choice for this
project? Any other alternatives?
3) How severe is the database locking problem? How easy is it to unlock a
locked database? How often on average will it occur?

It is worth noting that the project is a complete upgrade from an older
version, the old version used access in the same environment as described above
and we had no complaints of problems in multiuser usage. However we are finding
access old technology and too slow and the 2Gb limit is mnow too small for some
of our customers.

Any help/suggestions will be gratefully received.

Mark

DISCLAIMER:
This information and any attachments contained in this email message is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed
and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the
dissemination, distribution, forwarding, or copying of this communication is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please
notify the sender immediately by return email, and delete the original message
immediately.

Sqlite will work as well or better than Access in a networked environment since it uses the same networking connections.