One last set of performance numbers for opening a connection.  :-)

This is after adding in check constraints for types and foreign key triggers
(which may only be used during development anyways).

Non-Pooled                : 17,515.6 ms
Pooled with Reset         :    562.5 ms
Pooled without Reset      :    109.4 ms
One Connection            :     62.5 ms

So the impact of open/closing connections on a real-world db really is huge.

These tests with triggers is very different from tests without--are triggers
completely parsed and compiled every time a connection is opened?

Sam