Thanks.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis Cote" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <sqlite-users@sqlite.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2007 10:24 AM
Subject: Re: [sqlite] Fastest way of UPDATE'ing

jose isaias cabrera wrote:

I have this scenario...

6 users with local dbs
1 network db to backup all those DBs and to share info.

Every local DB unique record id based on the network DB. So, before each user creates a new record, the tool asks the network ID for the next available sequential record and creates a new record on the local DB using that unique id from the network DB.

The question is, what is the fastest way to UPDATE the main DB? Right now, what I am doing is a for each record and UPDATE all the values where id=<uniqueID>. Is there a faster way?

Jose,

If I understand your application, I think you should be able to merge the local databases into the network database using either an insert or replace (if you want to replace existing records in the network DB with potentially modified records from the local DB), or an insert or ignore (if you want to leave the records that already exist in the network DB alone). Since each record has an ID that is unique across the entire network you can insert the local records into the network DB with worrying about ID conflicts, there is no need to update records in the network DB. If you are only storing new records in the local databases then you can just do an insert into the network DB.

HTH
Dennis Cote